Thursday, March 31, 2011

Orinoco Flow

Like a picture, a song can have more than one meaning.  Indeed interpretations are subjective. A very good example is the Orinoco Flow  by Enya. My first taste of New Age Music was in the 90's when I heard Enya's Orinoco Flow. I thought it was Latin or Italian until I heard the "sail away" part. Scrutinizing the lyrics, it appeared that somebody is just enjoying the thought of sailing  as he made reference to numerous places to navigate including Avalon, which only existed in a mythical Arthurian legend.

 Just when most everybody thought Orinoco is the river which flows across South America, people behind the song claimed everything was just a metaphor of their journey to Orinoco Flow's success. Orinoco was the name of the studio that produced Enya's album. The words "We can steer, we can near, with Rob Dickens at the wheel" refer to Rob Dickens, the head of her record label. The Ross and dependencies line is not actually the area of Antarctica claimed by New Zealand but is the co-producer and the people around his organization. The song catapulted Enya to her stature now. As of 2009, she had sold 70 million albums, making her the most popular Irish female performer. With that, New Age Music had come a long way. Initially, vocals were minimally used. Mostly, electronic and acoustic instruments were utilized. As it evolved, vocals have become more common.

The intention of New Age Music is one atmosphere of inspiration, optimism, and relaxation.For starters, they may find it  redundant and monotonous, but the purpose of repetitive melodies and words is to create a feeling of hypnosis. When I was still working in CLDH, people from the Businessmaker Academy will always play New Age, particularly Enya's, during workshops and group dynamics. It set the tone for a healthy discussion and creation.

Where there are gatherings and activities this song will continue to play. As for me its effect is never the same.It has  has taught me lessons I took for granted two decades ago - my history and my geography. I did not even notice Cebu was mentioned in this song. I feel a sense of pride and I could only be grateful to Roma Ryan, Enya's primary lyricist. Now watch Enya and Celtic Woman as we sail away!

 
Enya

 
Celtic Woman


Let me sail, let me sail, let the orinoco flow,
Let me reach, let me beach on the shores of Tripoli.
Let me sail, let me sail, let me crash upon your shore,
Let me reach, let me beach far beyond the Yellow Sea.

Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...

From Bissau to Pilau -- in the shade of Avalon,
From Fiji to Tiree and the Isles of Ebony,
From Peru to Cebu hear the power of Babylon,
From Bali to Cali -- far beneath the Coral Sea.

Turn it up, Turn it up, Turn it up

Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...

From the North to the South, Ebudae into Khartoum,
From the deep Sea of Clouds to the Island of the Moon,
Carry me on the waves to the lands I've never been,
Carry me on the waves to the lands I've never seen.

We can sail, we can sail, with the Orinoco flow
We can sail, we can sail...
Sail away, Sail away, Sail away...

We can steer, we can near with Rob Dickens at the wheel,
We can sigh, say goodbye Ross and his dependencies
We can sail, we can sail...

1 comment:

  1. I was listening to Watermark tonight and I jist noticed Cebu being mentioned too. I love it even more because of this.

    ReplyDelete